Thursday, January 8, 2009

Queen Elizabeth was the shit

First and foremost, I LOVE my new classes. the English major suits me so much better. Second, we're reading about 16th century literature in my Intro to English major course and I am so ENAMORED. We talked about Queen Elizabeth today and I have to say that she had some huge balls. Here's one of her poems she wrote. It's beautiful.


I grieve and dare not show my discontent;
I love, and yet am forced to seem to hate;
I do, yet dare not say I ever meant;
I seem stark mute, but inwardly do prate.
I am, and not; I freeze and yet am burned,
Since from myself another self I turned.

My care is like my shadow in the sun—
Follows me flying, flies when I pursue it,
Stands, and lies by me, doth what I have done;
His too familiar care doth make me rue it.
No means I find to rid him from my breast,
Till by the end of things it be supprest.

Some gentler passion slide into my mind,
For I am soft, and made of melting snow;
Or be more cruel, Love, and so be kind.
Let me or float or sink, be high or low;
Or let me live with some more sweet content,
Or die, and so forget what love e'er meant.



And I get to analyze this! Beautiful. The rest of my life might be in the crapper, but at least I love my classes. Anyway, I'd like to think that Queen Elizabeth was a ballsy woman. I was raised by a strong woman who taught me to never let anyone see you cry. I haven't learned how to just yet, but I'm getting there. Do what you have to do, don't complain, and only let your guard down to the ones who matter. It may seem a little brash, but my mother is a loving woman and she's lived in an environment that has tried to drag her down so many times and she's still smiling. That's what I think of when I think of Queen Elizabeth. What a role model, and quite a poet. I think that strong women should be celebrated. Here are some of my favorites ...

1 comment:

Ms. Wurster said...

hey, thank you for posting the poem it is beautiful...and I am glad your classes are going well so far!